The idea of cloud gaming has been around for over two decades. Yet, it took 10 years for OnLive to launch a fully-working cloud gaming service in 2010. OnLive didn’t last long and was later acquired by Sony to build its own cloud gaming service. Since then a lot of cloud gaming companies have popped up, including NVIDIA’s GeForce Now.
If you want to step into the world of cloud gaming, NVIDIA’s GeForce Now is a perfect service to try. We will elaborate on the features and pricing of GeForce Now in this post. Moreover, you will learn about its registration and installation process.
What Is NVIDIA GeForce Now?
NVIDIA GeForce Now is a cloud gaming service offered by the biggest GPU manufacturer in the world. It lets you play games by running them on a cloud server with gaming-appropriate hardware. You can play it on a laptop, desktop, or mobile device, even if it doesn’t have the hardware capabilities to run it.
In layman’s terms, NVIDIA GeForce Now will run the game on another computer and stream it on your device. You can control the game using your input devices (keyboard/mouse or game controller). Since all this communication happens via the internet, you will need a decent internet connection with minimal latency. Check out our guide to know more about the reasons why you should use NVIDIA GeForce Now.
What Plans Does GeForce Now Have?
NVIDIA GeForce Now offers three subscription tiers but is only available in select countries. If you reside in the US, UK, and Central Europe, you can access the service easily. But if GeForce Now isn’t available in your region, you can simply use a gaming VPN to change your IP and use the service. Check out our guide on the best VPNs for online gamers for more information.
Here are the subscription tiers offered by NVIDIA GeForce Now:
- Free: You get free access to GeForce Now with limited play time and standard access to basic servers. It takes a while to find a server to play if you use this free tier.
- Priority: This subscription tier offers priority access to premium servers for $9.99 per month. You get to play on premium rigs with RTX-enabled GPUs. The session length of a single playthrough increases to six hours, and you can game in 1080p at 60 FPS.
- RTX 3080: The name is self-explanatory. You get access to premium servers with GeForce RTX 3080 rigs. It allows you to play games in 4K at 120 FPS with up to eight-hour sessions. You have to shell out $19.99 per month for this subscription tier.
NVIDIA also previously offered a Founder’s membership tier which was merely $5 per month. But NVIDIA replaced this membership plan with the Priority plan and bumped up the pricing to $9.99 per month. You have to first register for NVIDIA GeForce Now before installing the app on your device (laptop, desktop, or mobile). If you are trying to join from a region where GeForce now is not available, change your IP address using a VPN to a country where the service is available.
To register for GeForce Now, repeat the following steps (we’re using the Free tier as an example):
- Launch any browser on your system and go to the official NVIDIA GeForce Now memberships page.
- Scroll down and click on the Join button located under the Free membership section. It will redirect you to the NVIDIA login page.
- If you have an existing account, you can enter the email address and password and register. Or you can use your Google, Apple, Facebook, or Discord account to sign in.
- Then, enter your display name, and date of birth. Complete the captcha process and click on the Create Account button.
- NVIDIA will ask you to subscribe to data logging and email recommendation services. You can skip these and click on the Submit button to create your account.
- The checkout page will open with a “Congratulations, you’re in!” message. It means that you have successfully registered for GeForce Now.
- Do not close the browser now because we will demonstrate the installation process using this page in the next section.
The registration process for NVIDIA GeForce Now service is complete. Keep in mind that the above-mentioned steps are for accessing the free tier only. If you want better game streaming quality and faster access to premium rigs, you will have to purchase the Priority or the RTX 3080 membership plan.
How to Install NVIDIA GeForce Now
The checkout page contains the links to download NVIDIA GeForce for all the supported devices. Here’s how to install the app on your system:
- Pick the device on which you want to use GeForce Now. Click on the Download button located below the Windows PC icon. The setup file will begin downloading in your browser.
- Open the File Explorer and navigate to the folder location that contains the NVIDIA GeForce Now setup file.
- Double-click on it to begin the installation process.
- The installer will launch. You don’t have to accept any EULA or choose the installation location. Once the installation is complete, the NVIDIA GeForce Now app will launch.
- Go to the top-right corner of the app and click on the Log In button. It will open the NVIDIA login page in a new browser window.
- Click on the NVIDIA button to proceed to log in. Enter your account credentials.
- Once the login is successful, the NVIDIA page will ask you to close the browser window.
- You will be automatically logged in to your NVIDIA GeForce account in the app. You will see your display name in the top-right corner.
NVIDIA GeForce Now is ready for action on your system. You can connect your Steam, Ubisoft, and Epic Games account in the app and begin your cloud gaming journey.
Enjoy Cloud Gaming With GeForce Now
NVIDIA GeForce Now allows you to play games on multiple devices without installing them. You can play select games that you own on Ubisoft, Epic Games, and Steam using GeForce Now.
There are 1300+ games available on the service as of now and the number continues to grow. You can try out the free tier and if you like it, you can upgrade to the Priority or RTX 3080 membership for access to better hardware and longer play sessions.