Chilling surveillance footage shows man police believe is the California serial killer

Police in Stockton, California, have released chilling surveillance footage of the man they believe is the serial killer responsible for the execution-style, shooting deaths of six men over the last year. 

The video shows a suspect in a hoodie, beanie, jeans and COVID-mask, walking quickly past a surveillance camera. 

Cops say it shows a man ‘on a mission’ who has an ‘uneven stride’. 

Chief Stanley McFadden, Stockton Police Chief, said at a press conference that while there is no evidence to connect him to the shootings yet, they believe the man is a person of interest. 

All six of the victims were shot dead alone while outside. Police have not yet been able to determine the shooter’s motive. 

The shootings took place between April 10 and Sept. 27. Six victims were killed and a seventh survived her injuries. That woman told police he was a tall, thin man who ‘said nothing’ as he opened fire on her. 

Footage showing a man in a hooded jumper, beanie, jeans and an all-black COVID style mask has been released by California police

Footage showing a man in a hooded jumper, beanie, jeans and an all-black COVID style mask has been released by California police

California police released the video saying they wanted to question the person in the footage in relation to 'six murders that could be the work of a serial killer'

California police released the video saying they wanted to question the person in the footage in relation to ‘six murders that could be the work of a serial killer’

The cases, which have left residents of the Northern California city on edge, have been linked by forensic ballistics evidence

The cases, which have left residents of the Northern California city on edge, have been linked by forensic ballistics evidence

‘We don’t know what the motive is. What we do believe is that it’s mission-oriented. This person is on a mission,’ McFadden said.

The chief said it was not clear what the victims, who included both men and women and ranged in age from 21 to 54, have in common. 

All but one were attacked in the Stockton area with the exception of a 46-year-old woman shot in Oakland who was the lone survivor.

Surveillance camera footage released by the Stockton Police Department showed a man who McFadden described as a ‘person of interest’ from behind as he walked through the hallway of an apartment building or motel.

McFadden said detectives did not have evidence tying the man seen in the video to the shootings but wanted to speak to him as part of their investigation.

He asked members of the public watching the footage to pay attention to the man’s ‘uneven stride’ and unusually upright posture. A reward of $125,000 has been offered for information leading to an arrest.

Stockton is a city of more than 300,000 people in California’s central valley, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Five of the murders have been linked – four of the victims Hispanic – and found in Stockton since July, their murders linked.

They were Paul Alexander Yaw, 35, Salvador William Dubedy Jr., 43, Jonathan Hernandez Rodriguez, 21, Juan Cruz, 52 and Lorenzo Lopez, 54.

The men were found dead alone and in the early hours of the morning and all killings took place in dimly lit environments. Some of the victims were homeless.

Police have said ‘physical evidence’ connects the five killings.  

Then two predawn shootings from 2021 were also tied to the prior string of homicides. 

On April 10, 2021, a 40-year-old Hispanic man was shot to death in Oakland, California and on April 16, 2021, a 46-year-old Black woman was shot at Park and Union streets in Stockton – she survived. 

Police Chief Stanley McFadden said on Friday the department needed help from to public to bring new information to light having ruled out gang violence and robbery.

The shootings took place between April 10 and Sept. 27. Six victims were killed and a seventh survived her injuries

The shootings took place between April 10 and Sept. 27. Six victims were killed and a seventh survived her injuries

The men were found dead alone and in the early hours of the morning and all killings took place in dimly lit environments. Some of the victims were homeless

The men were found dead alone and in the early hours of the morning and all killings took place in dimly lit environments. Some of the victims were homeless

Police Chief Stanley McFadden said on Friday the department needs help from to public to bring new information to light having ruled out gang violence and robbery

Police Chief Stanley McFadden said on Friday the department needs help from to public to bring new information to light having ruled out gang violence and robbery 

Paul Alexander Yaw was the first to be killed on July 8, his family have confirmed. He was taken to hospital after being shot in the early hours of the morning but died there from his injuries.

Yaw was the only one of the five victims who was not Hispanic.

His mother Greta Bogrow said in a statement: ‘He was my son, a father, a grandson, nephew, cousin and brother and was loved by many. He has left a huge hole in our hearts and I hope they catch the person(s) responsible before this happens again.’

Bogrow said that Yaw was homeless when he died.

Jonathan Hernandez Rodriguez, 21, was found dead inside a car on East Hammer Lane on August 11, according to San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office.

Lorenzo Lopez, 54, was one of the older victims. His brother Jerry Lopez said: ‘It’s hard to process that this has happened. I mean, me and my brother have been like twins. We were a year a part so we were pretty close.’  

Salvador William Dubedy Jr., 43, was a Stockton native and father. He died at the scene he was shot, five minutes from Yaw’s shooting, after police attempted to save him.

His wife only found out about the supposed connection between the five murders after through social media and was disappointed she wasn’t reached out to directly.

Salvador William Dubedy Jr., 43, was a Stockton native and father. He died at the scene he was shot, five minutes from Yaw's shooting, after police attempted to save him

Salvador William Dubedy Jr., 43, was a Stockton native and father. He died at the scene he was shot, five minutes from Yaw’s shooting, after police attempted to save him

Lorenzo Lopez, 54, was one of the older victims. He was found at 4400 Manchester Ave.

Paul Alexander Yaw was the first to be killed on July 8, his family have confirmed. He was taken to hospital after being shot in the early hours of the morning but died there from his injuries

Lorenzo Lopez, 54, was one of the older victims. He was found at 4400 Manchester Ave. Paul Alexander Yaw was the first to be killed on July 8, his family have confirmed. He was taken to hospital after being shot in the early hours of the morning but died there from his injuries

Stockton mayor Kevin Lincoln explained that his office is working closely with the police department to bring the killer to justice.

Stockton Police Chief McFadden said during the Friday conference: ‘What makes these cases so challenging is that there are no witnesses due to the location, the timing, the lack of light.’

He told reporters that detectives have reviewed several hundred hours of video footage.

‘We feel they are interconnected somehow. To what extent we just don’t know at this time,’ he added.

‘By definition you could very well call this a serial killer,’ he said.

‘It doesn’t fit with what we are accustomed to seeing with gang homicides.

‘One of out victims was a white male so we have no indication that these are hate crimes.

‘Some of them did have homes. Some even lived in the area, but not all were unhoused.’

Police have advised citizens of Stockton not to walk alone at night and not to be in dimly lit areas.

A tip line has been opened to for people with information to come forward. The number is 209-937-8167. Information can also be sent to [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *